    Re: iSCSI: Towards Urgent Pointer Consensus

    I would like to outline my understanding of how the
    urgent pointer framing mechanism would work.  This
    is done with the hope the any misunderstandings
    will be corrected and any gaps filled.

    My understanding is that iSCSI MUST be fully interoperable
    with all existing TCP implementations and MAY contain
    features that allow customized TCP implementations to
    extract additional performance.  Use of the urgent
    pointer to delineate message boundaries in the
    presence of dropped packets is such a feature.

    This creates four cases that should be considered.

    1.  standard TCP sending to standard TCP
    2.  customized TCP sending to standard TCP
    3.  standard TCP sending to customized TCP
    4.  customized TCP sending to customized TCP

    It seems clear that in case 1 and 2, urgent data
    should not be used.  There is no way for a standard
    TCP to use received urgent data designations to
    any advantage, and it would only slow things down.

    Case 4 can easily insert the urgent markers where
    needed and extract them to optimum advantage on
    the receiving end.  The only potential problem
    with this case is if the urgent pointer is
    modified within the network (or more accurately
    by some gateway in the network path).  If the urgent
    pointer is moved to point to some byte NOT indicated
    as urgent by the sender, then the scheme is broken.
    We NEED to guarantee that this can't happen.
    If the urgent pointer is coalesced so that some
    bytes designated as urgent at the sender are no
    longer urgent when received by the receiver,
    everything should still work, but possibly with
    lower performance.  If this happens rarely,
    no problem.  If it happens often, then perhaps
    the urgent data mechanism is not the best way
    to recover framing.

    Case 3 is the most problematic.  We are potentially
    lowering the performance on one end in order to
    improve the performance on the other.  Case 3
    has the same concerns as case 4 with the additional
    concern that the sender may coalesce the urgent
    pointer in some cases.  These concerns can
    be resolved in a number of ways:

      a. Negotiate the use of urgent data only in case 4.

      b. Negotiate the use of urgent data in cases 3 and 4,
         and accept the fact that the performance gain in
         case 3 may in some cases be small due to excessive
         coalescing of the urgent pointer.

      c. Verify that for most TCP implementations, sent
         urgent data is usually received at the remote
         end with the TCP urgent marker intact.  In this
         case everything is fine (at least from the
         receiver's view point).