    RE: Concensus Call on Urgent Pointer.

    Michael

         I done the calculations for 100Mbits/sec to 100Gbps for the 6 switch
    topology you describe and
         50KM distance. The data is below. (I know it's a bit of rock fetching but
    what the hell!)

         A couple of points to clear up from your previous email.

         1/ I had allowed 25uS end system processing delay - you suggested 4 - 5us.
             Hardware can process a lot faster than even what you suggest but even
    when the
             hardware has finished processing an incoming header and wants to send
             an ACK in reply, the outbound port can be busy sending a maximum frame
    => delay of 12uS.

             Secondly - we only send an ACK for every second frame hence another
    12uS possible.

         2/ Can you give me the source of the error rates you suggest I use.

    >the packet drop rate due to either corruption (very low rates should be
    >assumed - at least 10E-9 to 10E-12) or congestion which ranges from 1-3% in
    >the Internet (depending upon which set of measurements you go by) and will

         The bit error rate on worst case copper at Gbps is 10E-10 => PACKET drop is
     10e-6 i.e.
         1 in a million(1500bytes). We've verified similiar (but better) rates in
    our Lab's using broadcom phi's.

         3/ The packet drop rate due to congestion - in a LAN certainly - can be
    reduced to 0 by
              turning on flow control. In general flow control can be bad as it's
    easy to think
              of scenarios where lockup happens, but in certain instances it can be
    useful to turn
              it on.

         4/ Vern's numbers w.r.t. corrupt packets on FDDI which were not being
    caught by CRC is interesting.
              We've ran our 12 port gigabit switches for days at full line rate with
     a random scattering of packet
              sizes and did not see any internal packet loss or corruption. We'ed
    normally run such data
              corruption tests in flow control mode to allow us notice if even one
    packet went missing over days and
              why it went missing.
              So in a LAN scenario the maximum loss rate can be configured to be
    related to the bit error rate.
              This is also possible for a MAN environment or rather a disaster
    recovery link at least.

         5/Vern - the formula you had in your email is interesting - Can you give me
     a pointer to its derivation.
             I would also like to see formulas which had the line rate and window
    size as parameters.
             The formula in your email aims to obtain a theoretical max throughput.
    This is interesting. However
             on a Gigabit line if the error rate is 0 the throughput is not infinite
     , it is 1Gbps.
                        Also, on a Gbps line if the packet error rate is 10E-6 and
    the window is of infinite size then
             the throughput is not affected much.

         6/ From the data below the astute reader will have noticed:-

              a/ Keeping 10 trunked 100mbit/sec lines saturated requires more memory
     over same distances
                              using store and forward switching elements than 1 Gbps
     line.
              b/ Keeping 10 trunked 1Gbps lines saturated requires more memory than
    1x10Gbps line.
                              But the differences are reducing as the delay due to
    the cable becomes more evident.
              c/Between 10Gbps and 100Gbps the memory requirements compare.
              d/Cut through switching was interesting at 10Mbps when the cut-through
     time was 30-40uS
                              compared to 1.2mS store and forward delay for max size
     packet. At 100Mbps it
                   is not interesting - 30-40uS (completely empty switch) versus
    120uS store and forward
                   type delay.
              e/I've put the switch delay at 0.5 the packet store and forward delay.
     For true switches that
                  attempt to handle congestion cases (small bursts of congestion at
    least) then internal
                 switching must be faster than the line rate. However I've not
    looked in detail or measured
                            any multiport 10G or 100G switches.

         7/ I still don't see the required memory space cost as a big issue for
    hardware implementations
             since h/w can process acks fast and keep window small as possible. TOE
    chips that support
             iSCSI and OTHER protocols at 1Gbps over TCP will have to have
    appropriate memory on board
                       in any case for those OTHER protocols. It's cheaper to have
    one TOE supporting BOTH than
            TWO TOE adaptoes - one with some fractional smaller amount of memory and
     another fully
            fledged TOE adaptor for general purpose TCP connections.

         7/My take on seeing the bunch of emails from the list and Randall Stewarts
    work leaves me with the
                        impression that the debate has shifted from a MUST - MAY
    debate to a MAY  - DELETE debate.
             I think that should be the question i.e. should this be deleted or left
     in as a MAY.

    Dick Gahan
    3Com

    0.1  0.1  1    1    10   10   100  100   Protocol bandwidth in Gbps

    1500 1500 1500 1500 1500 1500 1500 1500  Max frame size in bytes
    120  120  12   12   1.2  1.2  0.12 0.12  time to transmit frame in uS

    0.5  0.5  0.5  0.5  0.5  0.5  0.5  0.5   Signal speed on cable w.r.t c

    700  50000     700  50000     700  50000      700  50000     Total length of
    cable in METERS
    5    333  5    333  5    333  5    333   Total Delay due to cable in uS

    7    7    7    7    7    7    7    7     Number of forwarding occurences
    840  840  84   84   8.4  8.4  0.84 0.84  Total delay due to forwarding
    6    6    6    6    6    6    6    6     Number of switches
    60   60   6    6    0.6  0.6  0.06 0.06  Switch latency in uS - half pkt time
    360  360  36   36   3.6  3.6  0.36 0.36  total switching latency delay uS

    240  240  24   24   2.4  2.4  0.24 0.24  End system TCP delay  - min + a bit =>
    2 pkts worth

    1445 1773 149  477  19   348  6    335   Total one way delay
    2889 3547 297  955  38   695  12   670   Round Trip delay uS
    24   30   25   80   32   580  102  5580  Max Ethernet 1500 byte frames on
    Wire/Window
    36   44   37   119  48   869  153  8369  Bandwidth/Delay product in KB

              1E-10     1E-10     1E-12      1E-12     1E-12     1E-12     Bit error
     rate per link (10G and 100G is fibre only)
                        1.20E-061.20E-061.20E-081.20E-081.20E-081.20E-08Packet Error
     rate per link for 1500 bytes
                   8.40E-068.40E-068.40E-088.40E-088.40E-088.40E-08Packet Error rate
     end to end due to line loss alone

    PLANET PROJECT will connect millions of people worldwide through the combined
    technology of 3Com and the Internet. Find out more and register now at
    http://www.planetproject.com