    Re: TCP limitations (was Re: ISCSI: Urgent Flag requirement violates TCP.)

    Costa,

    A shim protocol is as good as an option only if it is initially agreed upon
    by the communicating parties and it is presented to all intervening
    elements. An initial TCP option (as we discussed for a specific protocol)
    is a good shim proposal as it can be seen (and deleted or agreed) by
    intervening parties. Steve Bellovin's draft is a good way to build a shim.
    (By initial TCP option I mean an option that appears only in the connection
    opening exchange like the MSS, but not after that).

    csapuntz@cisco.com on 27/11/2000 20:22:30

    Please respond to csapuntz@cisco.com