    Re: iSCSI draft 02: logout

    --- Matt Wakeley <matt_wakeley@agilent.com> wrote:
    > Some comments on the logout command:
    >
    > - In Section 2.15, it indicates that the logout command is only used
    > for error
    > recovery.  I thought there were those that wanted to always use the
    > logout to
    > close a connection cleanly.
    >
    > - One would think that a "logout" on the last TCP connection of a
    > session
    > would close the session.  However, the error recovery steps in
    > section 4.1
    > seem to imply otherwise.  If closing the last TCP connection of a
    > session does
    > not close the session, what does?
    >
    > - A target should be allowed to "logout" an initiator.  This is
    > allowed in
    > fibre channel.  It might be nice to have a reason code field
    > indicating why
    > the logout was performed.

    I had proposed (in a coversation with Julain in Pittsburg) a
    logout_requested command which the target could send to the initiator,
    and the target -- after waiting for some time (the target determines
    it)
    could then terminate/close any still open connections.

    This feature would avoid entering recovery states (which in my
    experience aren't implemented/tested thoroughly) in cases where e.g.
    a controller board on a multi-controller array was to be serviced.

    Initiators could divert all their traffic to other ports without having
    to go through session and command recovery.

    Somesh