    Re: CRC vs CHKSUM presentation slides

    Vicente-

    I just took another look through your slides after seeing the
    presentation on Monday.  They were very well-done.  I have
    one question, though.  If the CCITT-CRC32 is considered "good
    enough", then would the Ethernet CRC32 also be good enough?  The
    reason I ask is that every hardware vendor involved in building
    iSCSI stuff already has implementations of the Ethernet CRC,
    which is used for both Ethernet and Fibre Channel.

    The Ethernet poly has more terms than CCITT, and perhaps is
    not as good as CRC-32C (any thoughts?), but everyone has hardware
    and software for this, with proven interoperability (bit and
    byte order, etc).  Performance-wise, it will be there for
    10Gb Ethernet, so it should be fast enough.

    So if the Ethernet poly is deemed good enough (even if it's not
    the best), and fast enough (even if it's not the fastest), why
    not use it?  I think we would stand a much better chance of
    achieving interoperability in a short time.

    Please let me know what you think of this; I realize that a few
    of my questions were speculative.

    Regards,

    Mark

    --