    RE: CRC vs CHKSUM presentation slides

    Mark,

    One small note on these slides.  Although the number of instructions
    required to implement CRC-32 with 128K table lookups compares closely to
    that of Adler-32, Adler-32 is not accessing a 128K byte lookup table.  These
    slides made a comparison of instructions without considering additional
    memory access required or the size of the table required.

    If you were to use the same CRC-32, you will find the same levels of
    protection as this CRC is to protect against various types of equipment
    failures NOT protected by the Ethernet/FDDI/Fibre-Channel CRC, then a
    replication of this polynomial should not be a problem in that sense.  For
    those that wish to include a different polynomial tend to justify this
    effort by indicating this would improve the present physical layer checks.

    The problem that I see with that conclusion is errors seen outside of any
    potential Ethernet CRC failure are of such orders of magnitude as to
    out-weight any replicate benefit derived.  In that light, even Adler-32 may
    provide benefit in that case.  The next area being looked at is the number
    of bits detected in a burst error.  The unprotected equipment is not likely
    using a serial method of delivery, so you are again left errors that may
    provide strange error patterns.  The concept supporting a different
    polynomial was its greater ability to detect burst errors.

    The large piece of information missing from this presentation was a
    characterization of the types of errors seen by intermediate equipment.
    There was a bullet that suggested this equipment will produce burst errors.
    If so, what is the nature of this equipment and what are the prevalent
    errors?  From that perspective a comparisons could be made.  But as we are
    familiar with noise distributions of single bit errors, this became our
    focus.  It is a bit like looking for your keys under the light post even
    though you dropped them in the dark.  You wish to look where the light is
    better.

    Doug