    iSCSI: Parameter Negotiation (draft -05)

    • To: ietf-ips <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    • Subject: iSCSI: Parameter Negotiation (draft -05)
    • From: Steve Senum <ssenum@cisco.com>
    • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 17:38:34 -0600
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    Julian:

    I have a question on the following text in section 4.3:

     Operational parameter negotiation MAY involve several request-
     response exchanges (login and/or text) always driven by the
     initiator. The initiator MUST indicate its intent to terminate the
     negotiation by setting the F bit to 1; the target sets the F bit to 1
     on the last response. The last response must be the Login Response.
     If the target responds to a text or Login command with the F bit set
     to 1, with a text response with the F bit set to 0, or a login
     response with the text bit set to 0, the initiator must keep sending
     the text command (even empty) with the F bit set to 1 until it gets
     the Login Response with the F bit set to 1.

    Is the target allowed to introduce a parameter into the negotiation
    process?  That is, is the following sequence valid:

    Text Cmd, F=1 I -> A=<a> B=<b>

    If not, when would the target ever want to
    response with F=1 to a F=0 Text Command in
    the operational parameter negotiation phase?

    I know there was a thread on this before, but it was
    not clear to me how it was resolved.

    Thanks,
    Steve Senum