    iSCSI requirements drafts

    Marjorie & team,

    I hope this gets to you before the deadline.

    A very good document - and up to now it behaves like good wine - it gets
    better as it ages -:)

    Here re some comments.

    _____________

    On page 1 "will entail a minimum of new invention" I think you would like
    to say "will entail a minimum of research".

    On page 3 - the summary of the MUST  (and at section 4.1) you would like to
    say "MUST specify how to recover" instead of "MUST provide the ability to
    recover" (as the general agreed position of the group is that recovery is
    mostly not mandatory to implement).
    Page 5 - the summary - reference to 7.1 - iSCSI SHOULD deal with the
    complications of the new SCSI security architecture - is a hard to
    understand.

    Page 5 - the summary - reference to 8.2 - "any login or connect command"
    should read "read any login or connect phase" as the names may appear at
    later points in the phase due to security

    Page 7 - I think you would like to take out the "completion of requirements
    and specification of prerequisites for the "full realization of iSCSI"
    (whatever that means!) and say something  like a "a stable and widely
    accepted standard".

    Page 8 - 3.2 first paragraph is a nice piece of education in
    cost/perforformance vs. performance/cost. I guess you would like to remove
    it as it adds little to the rest of the document and is controversial
    (cost/performance is bounded by 0 while performance/cost is potentially
    unbounded)

    Page 11 - 5th paragraph - the current consensus is that connection binding
    is part of the protocol but optional to implement (mandatory to specify in
    the requirements lingo). The text should reflect this.

    Page 11 - 8th paragraph -- I think you would like to strike the first
    statement (about symmetric vs. asymmetric).  The question has been solved
    by hiatus (nobody is pursuing the asymmetric approach). To my chagrin I
    can't find the spare time to pursue it and it doesn't look that there are
    many noble souls willing to take it up out there.

    Page 13 - 5.2 3rd paragraph -- I think that you would like to change "iSCSI
    shall have no impact on T10 architecture" into 'iSCSI shall require no
    changes to T10 architecture" (it will certainly impact T10 architecture
    ;:)).

    Page 15 - 6.3 Data Integrity - I think that the statement "Two header CRCs
    one for the ... " is not representing a fact (as "strongest integrity
    check" suggests a numeric scale that is not there) nor a consensus of the
    group. As such I think you may want to remove it.
    Page 17 - 8.2 - See my previous comment on names in the login phase