    RE: DRAFT Minneapolis Minutes -- ACA Discussion

    > - SCSI ACA discussion
    >
    > > ACA (Auto Contingent Allegiance) is an optional SCSI mechanism that
    stops execution
    > > of a sequence of dependent SCSI commands when one of them fails.  The
    situation
    > > surrounding it is complex - T10 specifies ACA in SAM2, and hence iSCSI
    has to
    > > specify it and endeavor to make sure that ACA gets implemented
    sufficiently
    > > (two independent interoperable implementations) to avoid dropping ACA in
    the
    > > transition from Proposed Standard to Draft Standard.  On the list David
    Black
    > > noted that this would make ACA implementation at least a "SHOULD" rather
    > > than a "MAY".
    >
    > Keeping in mind the underlying iSCSI issue, I assume the question here is
    > not support for the ACA function as a SCSI option but whether or not iSCSI
    > will MANDATE the implementation of ACA as a condition for iSCSI
    compliance.

    That is the current question - "SHOULD" and "MAY" refer to their
    definitions in RFC 2119, and "MANDATE" would correspond to "MUST".
    I apologize if this shorthand was confusing

    > In that context, "dropping ACA" would amount to not requiring a logical
    unit
    > to implement the feature.

    That's not correct because "dropping ACA" refers to a future transition of
    iSCSI
    from Proposed Standard to Draft Standard status.  As part of that
    transition,
    any feature without two independently developed interoperable
    implementations
    is removed from the RFC as part of revising it for Draft Standard.  The
    feature
    isn't just made optional - the text describing such a feature is deleted.
    The WG
    has a fair amount of control over when the transition occurs, but the
    transition
    should be a goal, as the resulting cleansing of unimplemented features from
    the specification is usually a good thing.  In ACA's case, its removal would
    not be a good thing since it would cause iSCSI to no longer be a complete
    SCSI transport mapping, and hence it behooves us to word the specification
    now to encourage ACA to be implemented.

    As I said, this situation is complex - I hope this explanation is clearer.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500