    iSCSI: AccessID text key

    Folks,

    I would like to ask that the AccessID text key be deleted from the list of
    supported/required keys.

    My reasons are:
    1) it violates layering (this is a SCSI level construct)
    2) the spec is not complete in how this is formatted.  At the SCSI layer,
    it is a 16 byte value with no other syntactic meaning.  How is that
    formatted in a text value.
    3) it really isn't needed for two reasons: (a) SCSI Access Controls will
    (when I get the proposal approved, probably in Sept) define iSCSI
    TransportID to be the iSCSI Initiator Name; this name lives above the SCSI
    port level (i.e., at the SCSI device level) and so the additional value of
    the AccessID (a device level construct) is mitigated and (b) the SCSI layer
    can deliver this as needed.
    4) it's not clear how the iSCSI layer (in the initiator) gets its hands on
    this value, in any case.

    I'll admit that early on I was encouraged by the idea that this AccessID
    could be sent in login/text, but I've since backed off and changed my mind,
    for the reasons stated above.

    Comments?
    Jim Hafner