    iSCSI Feature Discussion

    I've seen a couple of comments whose form I need to
    discourage:

    (1) On the boot and copy manager sessions, saying that
    something's been in there for a long time is a rather
    weak reason for keeping it.  Technical rationale is
    needed, and it's ok to question things that may have
    seemed like a good idea way back when.  These session
    types have turned out to be a worked example, as I
    strongly support the direction of removing these
    session types.  I would ask everyone to please focus
    on technical rationale, not how long something's been
    in the draft without attracting attention.

    (2) The attempt to refer the Alias issue to the naming
    and discovery team is misplaced.  Design teams are a
    vehicle for making progress, not a tool for squelching
    discussion.  Yes, the design team put the Alias in,
    but requiring someone who objects to it to get their
    permission to object is backwards - objecting on the
    mailing list is fine, and should lead to explanations
    from those who think the feature is a good idea.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500