    RE: iSCSI: draft 7: iSCSI response and SCSI sense data

    In my lousy Indiana Jones impression - "ACA, why does it
    always have to be ACA?" ....

    This whole notion that ACA is a fundamental coordination
    mechanism for shared SCSI access to a target is not headed
    in a good direction - see the recent message from Ralph Weber
    expressing T10's concern that expansion of the usage of ACA is
    an invitation to undesirable denial of service possibilities.
    I will note that the reservation example that Ralph used in his
    message is the sort of thing that can break clustering software,
    although I don't know for certain whether there's any existing
    clustering software that it does in fact break.

    I think Rob and Jim are correct when they describe the current
    2.4.3 text as being at odds with SAM-2.  So, I think:

    - The text in 2.4.3 that is at odds with SAM-2 should come out.
    	The fact that it was caused by a desire to use ACA makes
    	it doubly suspect.
    - The current mandate for ACA in Section 8.2 exceeds the level
    	stated in the iSCSI requirements draft and I don't believe
    	it represents rough consensus of the WG.  Support for
    	ACA should be a "SHOULD", not a "MUST".
    - The entire effort to use ACA or something like it to serialize
    	error conditions for multiple commands in flight has not been
    	explained well to T10, and what has been explained has not
    	received a good reception.

    The last bullet has a couple of consequences.  First, we should
    take out anything else that's crept into iSCSI in support of this
    use of ACA.  Second, those who want to use ACA or something ACA-like
    for this error coordination across multiple commands in flight
    should write up a submission to T10 explaining what the problem
    is and how ACA or something like it solves the problem.

    I think Ralph is conveying a message from T10 that whatever the
    problem iSCSI has, T10 is not inclined to believe that more use
    of ACA is NOT the solution.  It may take a while to work with T10
    to get the right solution designed, but I'd prefer doing nothing
    over force-fitting ACA to a use that T10 doesn't think is appropriate.
    When we figure out what the right thing is, we can put in the right
    text to describe it.

    Comments?

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500