    RE: Security Gateways

    I don't see the text in
    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-saag-whyenc-00.txt

    Infact what I see is
    8.  Is Encryption a MUST?

       Not necessarily. However we need to be a bit more precise here.
       Exactly what security services are appropriate for a given protocol
       depends heavily on the application it is implementing. Many people
       assume that encryption means confidentiality. In other words the
       encryption of the content of protocol messages.

    That being said from the section right above it comes this text

    7.  MUST is for Implementors

       We often say that Security is a MUST implement. It is worth noting
       that there is a significant different between MUST implement and MUST
       use.

    With the final statement being that security must be a MUST IMPLEMENT so
    that users have to option of enabling it when the situation calls for.  I
    will talk with Jeff (if I can hunt him down in London) and determine if
    the meaning of this is to require security in all devices, or if it can be
    an optional cost pack... In otherwords if you want to buy a device it
    would not implement security, but there is an option pack that I will sell
    you at cost to implement the additional security protocols.

    What I am getting at is cryptography is expensive, especially at multi
    gigabit speeds.  I would not want to require products to incur this cost
    if the feature wasn't determined to be useful by the end customer who has
    the wallet.  I also want to be careful about products that are multi
    gigabit products, but to be "standards compliant" include a software
    encryption module that runs at 12 Mbit/Sec and is completely useless.  I
    would rather have that product without security, so that I KNOW that the
    security isn't there...

    Bill