    IPS: FCIP & this list

    David,

    To be honest, the following is more than a little
    difficult to accept.

    On 17 August 2001, David Black wrote:

    > While I'm at it, it appears to me that the FCIP authors
    > are reverting to the unfortunate habit of holding technical
    > discussions off-line and not sharing them with the list.

    First, the FCIP authors are posting their works to this
    reflector.  Otherwise, there would have been nothing
    to complain about vis-a-vis the content of the FCIP
    draft on 17 August.

    Second, this reflector is clearly the ALL iSCSI ALL THE
    TIME reflector.  In the last 24 hours, no fewer than two
    new postings to this reflector have failed to include the
    project identifier in the subject as requested by John
    Hufferd and myself less than two weeks ago.

    And why should people bother to prefix iSCSI postings with
    "iSCSI:" when one of the co-chairs violated the protocol
    as recently as yesterday morning with a posting titled
    "FW: I-D ACTION:draft-black-ips-iscsi-security-01.txt".

    The FCIP authors are trying to complete their draft
    under clearly disadvantaged circumstances.  Due diligence
    is being made to bring issues to this reflector and to
    respond to the concerns raised here.  And, I have no
    doubt that the issue raised on 17 August will be addressed
    in due course.

    But it is patent nonsense to claim that the FCIP authors
    should be trying to use this reflector in the traditional
    IETF manner.  This reflector belongs to iSCSI, and to all
    practical purposes it belongs ONLY to iSCSI.

    FCIP (and for that matter iFCP) are barely tolerated,
    uninvited guests, or at least that is how it feels
    every time I review the directory the day's new messages.

    Ralph...