    Re: iSCSI: Proxies (was Security in iSCSI)

    David,

    I entirely agree with all the points you make.  I have argued that there is
    in the current draft no definition of a proxy, no model for such things and
    only vague references to them.  I have even suggested that the term "proxy"
    and all related text be removed from the document (including the vague
    status code of "proxy required").

    It turns out that for the purposes of iSCSI, proxies can be implemented
    without any change to the protocol (provided you have a fairly intelligent
    iSCSI-aware proxy).  All you need to do is have the actual target advertise
    (via th normal discovery mechanisms, like SLP, iSNS, admin, etc.) that it's
    network addresses are those of the proxy machine and only allow the actual
    proxy to make direct connection to the target (the target would not
    authenticate and allow login from any other source).  You get proxy
    function without any protocol changes.  Security is initiator to proxy (by
    the rules configured for that proxy) and proxy to target (by the rules
    configured for that proxy-target pair).  The rest is completely transparent
    to the protocol and to the host.   This description fits yours where the
    proxy participates in the security context directly.

    If this model of proxy requires too much function in the proxy boxes, then
    we can revisit this issue latter in the iSCSI layer directly.  In the
    meantime, I vote (with you) that we put a lid on this issue of proxy (by
    removing the notion) and get on with completing the hard issues that are
    still on the table for basic operation.

    Jim Hafner

    Black_David@emc.com@ece.cmu.edu on 08/23/2001 10:14:30 am

    Sent by:  owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu