    Re: Towards Consensus on TCP connections

    Folks,
    After reading all the discussion and debate on this issue, I decided to
    research if the SCSI standards (T10/X3) have done with developing other
    transport protocols, and how those protocols dealt with connectivity
    issues between the endpoints. For the most part the other transport
    protocols SCSI over Scheduled Transport (SST), which is a working draft
    and the SCSI-3 Generic Packetized Prococol (SCSI-GPP), which is a proposed
    technical report have a concept of a Logical or Virtual connection. This
    Logical or Virtual connection has at least one connection through the
    network, but may have more up to endpoint configuration parameters. So,
    it appears the other groups have not come to a consensus as to the approach.

    Most of the drafts are available on the T10's web site:
    	www.t10.org

    Except for the definition of the Scheduled transfer protocol, which is on
    T11's web site:
    	www.t11.org

    The most interesting thing I came up with is the SCSI-GPP definition is
    written to allow connections over IP networks. Annexes E and F describe
    the mapping and processing capabilities. If this is a work in progress
    should we take advantage of there previous start and work with T10 to
    have a better definition of a protocol for storage over IP?

    What I understand from a quick read of the SST and SCSI-GPP protocol
    definitions is they have dealt with the issues of security, error recovery,
    connection management, transfer of SCSI bus control signals (bus reset,
    abort tasks.

    If we don't use the SCSI-GPP than I propose changing the one LUN per
    TCP connection group to be a SCSI target id that multiplexes all LUN's
    of the target id onto the connection group. I believe this will decrease
    the amount of connections and provide data channels for large transfers.

    Sincerely,
    	Jeff Fellin
    	MH 2A-352
    	(908) 582-7673