    RE: Enough on TCP vs. SCTP, please

    David,

    I understand how you could hold that view.  To implement such a definition,
    you would need to make changes to the TCP API as well as to the TCP stack to
    allow messages to be marked.  There would need to be additional sorting
    algorithms added to search for the first byte of a message.  It would also
    be likely a one byte error would creep in with machines that do not point to
    byte locations not aligned.  To solve that problem, perhaps all messages
    should be frame aligned.  That could be allowed if redefining the urgent
    pointer is possible. But hey, you would not need the urgent pointer then.
    Sorry, but when you must re-engineer TCP to work with a SCSI specification,
    you are no longer using TCP.  That is specifically why I think other means
    be considered.  If you wish to see reasonable performance revise TCP?  Most
    should expect without such tweaks on TCP, it will not perform well enough to
    justify use with SCSI whether being clever to avoid mention or not.

    Such liberties in changing TCP abound and yet Matt said he was sick of
    hearing about SCTP.  Managing buffers independently is yet another example.
    I personally see danger in creating unique versions of TCP to suit SCSI
    whereas drive and controller manufactures may view it as their domain.
    Perhaps now would be a good time to seek outside consensus on such
    modifications before re-inventing TCP.  If it is true that TCP is up for
    grabs, then I will be quiet as I would be wrong about this view.

    Doug