    Re: FCIP: A question about framing

    Robert:

    I am a bit confused on how the URGENT pointer can be used
    to do record marking... which is what is being attempted with
    the PUSH bit.

    In RFC793 Section 3.7 it discusses the use of Urgent data. Here it
    states:

    "
      This mechanism permits a point in the data stream to be designated as
      the end of urgent information.  Whenever this point is in advance of
      the receive sequence number (RCV.NXT) at the receiving TCP, that TCP
      must tell the user to go into "urgent mode"; when the receive sequence
      number catches up to the urgent pointer, the TCP must tell user to go

                                                                   [Page 41]

                                                              September 1981
    Transmission Control Protocol
    Functional Specification

      into "normal mode".  If the urgent pointer is updated while the user
      is in "urgent mode", the update will be invisible to the user.
    "

    Now if I am sending 3 FC frames and I mark each with the Urgent pointer.
    the the last sentence there..

    "If the urgent pointer is updated while the user is in "urgent mode",
     the update will be invisible to the user.
    "

    Pretty much means that if the receiver gets its urgent mode signal,
    and then goes in to urgent mode reading... but the other two frames
    arrive behind .. or possibly together with the first.. I fail to
    see how one can tell the 3 frames apart...

    I do NOT see how either PUSH or URGENT markers can be used for
    something they were never intended for.. i.e. changing TCP
    into a datagram oriented protocol..

    --
    Randall R. Stewart
    randall@stewart.chicago.il.us or rrs@cisco.com