    Re: iSCSI : Reject PDU Concerns.

    I disagree with you Doug,

    Douglas Otis wrote:

    > Matt,
    >
    > Unless encoding headers to hide typical PDU signatures, an analyzer will
    > have little difficulty in discovering PDU boundaries.

    I think that at 10Gig, it will be very difficult for an analyzer to find an
    iSCSI header in a byte stream and keep up with the incoming traffic while it's
    doing it. Furthermore, I could come up with a data pattern that would make it
    really difficult for your searching analyzer to synchronize on the real PDUs
    vs the fake ones in the data.

    > Should a scheme force
    > PDU alignment every 8192 bytes as example, discovery would be a certainty
    > within 8k bytes.

    How is that?  Remember, TCP's initial sequence number is random, so how will
    you know where the 8K boundary is?

    > To prevent blockage, the size of the PDU is limited and so
    > the search is not impossible as you imply nor even difficult.  Either
    > markers or alignment seems a good solution for minimizing impact of segment
    > loss to that of the interval rather than 2RTT x rate.  For either a periodic
    > marker or alignment scheme to work for sending, no changes to TCP is
    > required.

    Tweeking TCP a little by adding even an option bit in the header signalling a
    start of a new PDU would be a lot better.  TCP and any other protocol should
    evolve to track the evolution of the rest of computer technology.

    -Matt