    RE: iSCSI: draft 7: iSCSI response and SCSI sense data

    David,

    That's what will probably end-up doing.

    Julo

    Black_David@emc.com on 02-08-2001 17:21:25

    Please respond to Black_David@emc.com

    To:   Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL, ips@ece.cmu.edu
    cc:
    Subject:  RE: iSCSI: draft 7: iSCSI response and SCSI sense data

    As Rob Elliott said:

    > Furthermore, SAM-2 requires that status be ignored when the service
    > response indicates an error (SAM-2 revision 18 section 5.1):
    >   (see 5.3). If the command ends with a service response of
    >   SERVICE DELIVERY OR TARGET FAILURE, the application client
    >   shall consider this parameter to be undefined."
    >
    > I think iSCSI's current wording may violate this rule.

    So, just generate the CHECK CONDITION and don't try to use the
    iSCSI Service Response to further qualify it, as Mallikarjun
    suggests:

    > Robert Elliott pointed out a violation by iSCSI in trying to
    > additionally qualify ASC, ASCQ with its response codes.  I suggest
    > that dropping this "additional description" attempt in all these
    > cases is all iSCSI needs to do to meet SAM's expectations.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500