    RE: iSCSI: Support Alias in the protocol

    Well, this interpretation of events is a bit skewed:

    Didn't come out of NDT, I raised it on the IPS list.

    > That was that some members of the team did not understand why we needed to
    > have an Alias field, which is in the base protocol today, since it was
    > technically not needed.

    There is no question of "not understanding" anything, the statement of fact
    is that this is not used by the protocol, not necessary to the protocol
    function, and therefore should be deleted.  I can think of all sorts of
    things that "it would be nice for the protocol to do", can I add them all?
    It would be nice, for instance, to have a color text command, that would
    cause the display on the device to turn a different color - shall we add
    that?  Where do you draw the line? ;-)

    >The position I presented to the  group was that
    > the Naming and Discovery Team did not have consensus, since
    > many of us felt that having a Human oriented "Tagging" function was useful

    Many?  Most didn't care!!  A few thought it would "be nice" but agreed it
    was not used by the protocol.

    ..snip..
    > One person, at the meeting today, stated that it might not be of extreme
    > importance on large Networks with sophisticated Management tools, but it
    > was very useful in small to medium environments, where the Management
    tools
    > were slim.

    But it requires a management tool for the alias information to be displayed
    to the user.  Does it make a mgmt tool "sophisticated" to add a text label
    of it's own to iSCSI target names?  I think not ;-)

    > As the conversations when on, it was pointed out by the area director,
    > Scott  Bradner, that SLP used a similar Text field in its protocol, so
    > there was clearly a president.

    This statement is incorrect. Scott made a reference to the fact that *SNMP*
    carries this sort of information (mgmt information!).  There is no known
    *precident* for this sort of field in a protocol.  Even if you find a
    precident, it doesn't mean it's a smart thing to do.

    We have been discussing simplifying the protocol.  Deleting this command
    doesn't represent a huge simplification, but retaining it on the basis that
    "it is nice" is not logical.  The point is where do you draw the line
    regarding protocol commands?  Shall we add more "nice to have" things, even
    though they aren't used by the protocol but provide some sort of mgmt
    function?  Didn't we already go thru this discussion regarding the
    SendTargets command?  Let's at least try to be consistant.

    Marjorie Krueger
    Networked Storage Architecture
    Networked Storage Solutions Org.
    Hewlett-Packard