    Re: iSCSI NDT: Nameprep additions

    Jim Hafner wrote:

    > Bob,
    >
    > The short answer to this is not an extraordinarily strong argument,
    > however..., it was felt that these names should follow many of the rules of
    > domain names.  It was also felt that in many cases, the names might be
    > embedded in URLs (and the like).  Also, since one of the naming conventions
    > is derived from domain names, there didn't seem a strong reason to allow
    > for any extra characters.  So, the simpler the allowed set of
    > non-alpha-numeric characters (punctuation, whitespace, etc). the easier to
    > process, embed, extend, etc.

    I agree.  The more we following domain names, the better.

    > On the other hand, doesn't an "underscore" accomplish much of what a
    > "white-space" character does for readability?

    The dash is the white-space substitute used in domain names and
    such; underscores are not allowed.

    In an iSCSI name, a dot can also be used as a separator.  Like domain
    names, I would recommend using the dash to denote word or other separation
    within a hierarchical component of a name, and the dot to denote separation
    between different parts of a hierarchy.

    --
    Mark A. Bakke
    Cisco Systems