    From: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu [mailto:owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu]On Behalf Of
    Julian Satran
    Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 12:46 PM
    To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: RE: iSCSI - Change - Login/Text commands with the binary stage
    code

    It may decide to authenticate. This is an end-to-end authentication between
    two iSCSI entities
    not necesarily equivalent to the IPSec end-point.

    Julo

    "Bill Strahm" <bill@Sanera.net> on 30-08-2001 21:49:01

    Please respond to "Bill Strahm" <bill@Sanera.net>

    To:   Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
    cc:   "Ips@Ece. Cmu. Edu" <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
          code

    Ok,

    I am confused here (or maybe it is just a lag effect for me)

    I thought we had decided in Irvine to use IPsec/IKE to negotiate security.
    So basically the process is this

    1) Administrator makes several entries into a Security Policy Database
    2) An iSCSI initiator attempts to send a TCP-SYN packet to a target machine
    3) The IPsec packet filter detects this packet, realized there isn't a
    security association for it, and asks the Security Policy Database what to
    do about it
    4) The security Policy Database may determine that an IPsec SA needs to be
    established so tells IKE to negotiate with the remote peer
    5) An IKE negotiation proceeds until either it succeeds or fails
    6) If it fails, packets are dropped
    7) If it succeeds, the negotiated SAs are pushed to the IPsec packet
    filters
    8) The origional TCP-SYN packet is now sent out under the IPsec SA that was
    negotiated.

    Now under this scenario there is no need for iSCSI to negotiate security at
    all.  I DO now see the need to include an iSCSI Login phase that includes
    passing user identities across so targets and initiators can identify
    themselves, but this is over a secure link (see the above discussion) so I
    can just put ID= Bills-iSCSI-Initiator PW=BetYouCantGuessIt and the link
    will secure it for me...

    Bill
    Sanera Systems Inc.